Homeopathic Treatment for Trigger Finger

What is Trigger Finger?

Trigger finger, medically known as stenosing tenosynovitis, is a disease of the tendons of the hand. It is a painful condition in which the fingers or thumb get locked in bending position. There is difficulty in straightening the affected finger; and there is a clicking or popping sound on straightening the finger. Trigger finger can appear in one finger or may involve many fingers at one time. Though a common condition in the right hand, it can appear in both hands as well. Trigger finger makes a person anxious and frustrated since it interferes with daily life and work. It affects the efficiency of a person adversely, especially while performing tasks related to the hands. Homeopathic treatment for trigger finger is very effective. With the use of homeopathic medicines, the intensity of symptoms like pain, stiffness, and frequency of episodes gradually declines. A complete recovery in trigger finger follows.

Every case of trigger finger requires a detailed case taking that will help in finding the underlying cause and also the characteristic symptoms of the person. These symptoms are important for the selection of the most suitable medicine for the patient. Homeopathic medicines treat trigger finger by correcting the underlying cause. Homeopathic treatment for trigger finger is natural, safe, and has no side effects.

What are the Causes of Trigger Finger?

Trigger finger is caused by irritation, inflammation, and thickening of tendons of the fingers and thumb. Tendons are the strong tissue bands that link muscles to the bones. There is a covering on the tendon called the sheath. In normal conditions, there is the smooth movement of the tendon within the sheath while bending and straightening the thumb and fingers. In cases of trigger finger, the space between the tendons and its sheaths becomes narrow due to inflammation or thickening of tendons or sheath of the affected fingers or thumb. This narrowing leads to pain and restricts the movement of fingers.

What are the Risk Factors for Trigger Finger?

Overuse of hands with frequent and repetitive movements of hands and fingers put a person at risk of getting trigger finger. Individuals who carry out regular or continuous straining movements, like gripping or grasping of hands and fingers for a prolonged time, are prone to getting trigger finger. Persons in certain occupations or activities in which there is a constant straining of the fingers and hands tend to get trigger finger. Musicians, farmers, and laborers are at high risk of developing trigger finger. Apart from overuse, medical conditions like diabetes mellitus, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout also make a person prone to trigger finger. Trigger finger usually affects middle aged people. Females are more likely to suffer from trigger finger than males.

What are the Symptoms of Trigger Finger?

Initially, the patient complains of mild stiffness or tenderness at the base of the thumb or affected fingers. The stiffness is more in the morning or when the person initiates movement. In some cases, the patient may get relief by continuous movement of the fingers. As the disease progresses, affected fingers get locked on bending, and the person finds it difficult to straighten locked fingers. There may be a popping or clicking sound on straightening the affected finger. In advanced cases, the person may have to release the lock with the other hand. There may also be a formation of nodosities at the base of the affected fingers.

Homeopathic Treatment for Trigger Finger

There are many homeopathic medicines for trigger finger. Some of them are Arnica Montana, Ruta Graveolans, Rhus Tox, Causticum, Lycopodium, Mercurius Sol, and Sulphur. Arnica Montana is an excellent homeopathic medicine for trigger finger where the condition develops due to straining or overexertion of the hands. The patient may have soreness and pain in the fingers that get worse with a slight touch. Ruta Graveolans is a beneficial homeopathic medicine for trigger finger caused by straining or overuse of the tendons of the hands. A particular symptom for patients needing Ruta Graveolens is the aggravation of the problem in the cold. The fingers may also be stiff and sore. Rhus tox is helpful in cases of trigger finger where there are noticeable rigidity and stiffness in the fingers during initial movement in the morning. Patients needing this homeopathic medicine get relief by moving their fingers and hands continuously. The problem may aggravate by resting the hand. Causticum is a valuable homeopathic medicine for trigger finger in cases where there are pain and stiffness in the fingers along with difficulty in straightening the fingers. Lycopodium is a suitable homeopathic medicine in cases of trigger finger where nodes on fingers develop. The other symptoms are stiffening of fingers along with a burning pain in the palms. Mercurius Sol is a beneficial homeopathic medicine for trigger finger where there is locking of fingers and stiffness in the hand while working. On moving the hands, there may also be a cracking sensation. Sulphur is useful in cases where the fingers lock when the person tries to grasp something. There may also be nodules on the fingers and cracking of finger joints in such cases.

Comments

1. Joyce Davis says:

I am a 66 year old lady. I am an otr truck driver. I have recently developed trigger thumb in my right hand. The middle joint catches and cracks or pops. And is painful when it catches.The joint at palm has no movement restrictions but in tender to the touch and the nodule seems swollen.

2. Shivangi Saxena says:

I am 45 yrs old suffering from locking in the ring finger of right hand while twisting it from around 45 days and have to straighten it by other hand. It occurs more in morning sometimes. Sometimes i feel pain there and also somewhat rigid tendon there. Please prescribe homeo medicine for it.

3. Dr babu saying tiger fingering on rt hand anamica,she is suffering almost 2years.now is going on laser physiotherapy .pl give me homeo medicine prescribe. Thank you

4. hi ,my son is 7 year old his left hand middle finger get triggerd sleeping time and morning when he wants to straten it pains a lot ..pls advice me i can’t see him in pain .

5. RATAN KUMAR SINGH says:

I am 59 years old with controlled diabetics / blood pressure / Uric acid. I have been diagnosed with trigger finger in left hand. There is swelling and pain in the base of the finger. The movement of finger is not smooth. Early morning, it is quite stiff and it is painful to bend finger during morning hours. When the affected hand is put in hot water, the condition improves for a short while. Please suggest a suitable medicine and exercises.

6. G Vijay Kumar says:

Hello Doctor
    I am having Trigger Fingers in both hands for the past few month. I am a Retired Bank Manager. Now staying free at home. I do not do any typing work or play music. What could the reason for my Trigger Fingers .

Please advise me as to how I can over come this problem. My age 66

G Vijay Kumar

7. Millie L. Hayes says:

I have been diagnosed with Trigger Fingers – right hand. What treatment is recommended

8. P K Aggarwal says:

I am having trigger thumb problem in the right hand. One year back I took steroid injection and it was ok. But it has recurred. My right thumb is swollen and painful. Please suggest some homeopathic medicine. Thanks. P K Aggarwal

9. Prabodh Juneja says:

Need medicine for right ring finger which has stiffness in the morning. May be due to trigger finger. Day time also there is locking of the finger with little pain. There is no swelling but its movement is difficult.

10. Diagnose with trigger thumb finger that locks. Have hypothyroidism. 63 years old. What can I take?
    Are you there?

11. C K Gandhi says:

I had been diagnosed with triger finger. Is there any homeopathic medication which may help me. This is repeated problem after 6 yrs. Finger lock takes place during use of right hand. I am diabetic with HbA1c around 7.2.Burning sensesation and slight swelling under index and middle finger. Age 69 yrs.

• C K Gandhi says:

CK Gandhi
      ckgandhi@gmail.com

12. C K Gandhi says:

13. AJIT KUMAR BANTHIA says:

I had been diagnosed with Trigger Finger(middle-righthand) and using acupuncture treatment which has to be discontinued due to LOCKDOWN. Is there any homeopathic medication which may help me. Cracking joint, finger lock takes place during use of right hand. I am diabetic but maintain HbA1c around 7.2.

14. Chris Mancini says:

Thank you for your suggestions on trigger thumb. I think my best bet is Rhus Tox, which I will try first. This came on a few days ago. Never had it before, but I was using one of those hand squeezer devices to strengthen my grip. I think I did myself in. There is a baby pea sized bump at the base of that thumb on the palm side.

I do have Hashimotos (taking compounded NDT), and there is probably a connection there, but the knuckle sticks most when I first wake up, until I get it warmed up and moving again. Today, it was gettings stuck during the day if my hands got cold and I bent it while working. I’m 72 and still hiking, so quite active.

I’ll also use arnica gel. Can’t hurt.

15. Dear Dr. Sharma,
    I have trigger finger in my right thumb for 6 weeks now. It was diagnosed by a Orthopedic doctor. I cannot bend bend the thumb it is stuck in the straight position. There is swelling a the base of the thumb. I just started doing hand exercises 1 day ago and it is helping. Can you recommend the appropriate homeopathic remedy I should take. I am 61.

16. PRAHLAD PANDA says:

little finger of left hand bending. itrequires strait by support. since 15days.

17. I am having trigger finger right hand middle finger and ring finger i have tried allopathy medicine but no use it is paining and gives pop sounds and all symptoms please do help me age 58 please suggest me the medicine please help

18. All of the comments seem to be written by the same person using the exact same language, but different name & age. What’s up with that?

19. Kiruthika Balaji says:

I am suffering from trigger finger in my right hand thumb. I can move the fingers by itself but it moves with a click sound and heavily pain is there, this condition is 24 x 7. Please suggest me homeopathy medicine with doses. I am 59 years old female. I have diabetes and no BP.

20. Pampa Dey says:

I am suffering from trigger finger in my right hand third figer. I can move the fingers by itself but it moves with a click sound and heavily pain is there, this condition is 24 x 7. Please suggest me homeopathy medicine with doses. I am 39 years of old female. I have diabetes and high BP.