Homeopathic Treatment for Trigger Finger

What is Trigger Finger?

Trigger finger, medically known as stenosing tenosynovitis, is a disease of the tendons of the hand. It is a painful condition in which the fingers or thumb get locked in bending position. There is difficulty in straightening the affected finger; and there is a clicking or popping sound on straightening the finger. Trigger finger can appear in one finger or may involve many fingers at one time. Though a common condition in the right hand, it can appear in both hands as well. Trigger finger makes a person anxious and frustrated since it interferes with daily life and work. It affects the efficiency of a person adversely, especially while performing tasks related to the hands. Homeopathic treatment for trigger finger is very effective. With the use of homeopathic medicines, the intensity of symptoms like pain, stiffness, and frequency of episodes gradually declines. A complete recovery in trigger finger follows.

Every case of trigger finger requires a detailed case taking that will help in finding the underlying cause and also the characteristic symptoms of the person. These symptoms are important for the selection of the most suitable medicine for the patient. Homeopathic medicines treat trigger finger by correcting the underlying cause. Homeopathic treatment for trigger finger is natural, safe, and has no side effects.

What are the Causes of Trigger Finger?

Trigger finger is caused by irritation, inflammation, and thickening of tendons of the fingers and thumb. Tendons are the strong tissue bands that link muscles to the bones. There is a covering on the tendon called the sheath. In normal conditions, there is the smooth movement of the tendon within the sheath while bending and straightening the thumb and fingers. In cases of trigger finger, the space between the tendons and its sheaths becomes narrow due to inflammation or thickening of tendons or sheath of the affected fingers or thumb. This narrowing leads to pain and restricts the movement of fingers.

What are the Risk Factors for Trigger Finger?

Overuse of hands with frequent and repetitive movements of hands and fingers put a person at risk of getting trigger finger. Individuals who carry out regular or continuous straining movements, like gripping or grasping of hands and fingers for a prolonged time, are prone to getting trigger finger. Persons in certain occupations or activities in which there is a constant straining of the fingers and hands tend to get trigger finger. Musicians, farmers, and laborers are at high risk of developing trigger finger. Apart from overuse, medical conditions like diabetes mellitus, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout also make a person prone to trigger finger. Trigger finger usually affects middle aged people. Females are more likely to suffer from trigger finger than males.

What are the Symptoms of Trigger Finger?

Initially, the patient complains of mild stiffness or tenderness at the base of the thumb or affected fingers. The stiffness is more in the morning or when the person initiates movement. In some cases, the patient may get relief by continuous movement of the fingers. As the disease progresses, affected fingers get locked on bending, and the person finds it difficult to straighten locked fingers. There may be a popping or clicking sound on straightening the affected finger. In advanced cases, the person may have to release the lock with the other hand. There may also be a formation of nodosities at the base of the affected fingers.

Homeopathic Treatment for Trigger Finger

There are many homeopathic medicines for trigger finger. Some of them are Arnica Montana, Ruta Graveolans, Rhus Tox, Causticum, Lycopodium, Mercurius Sol, and Sulphur. Arnica Montana is an excellent homeopathic medicine for trigger finger where the condition develops due to straining or overexertion of the hands. The patient may have soreness and pain in the fingers that get worse with a slight touch. Ruta Graveolans is a beneficial homeopathic medicine for trigger finger caused by straining or overuse of the tendons of the hands. A particular symptom for patients needing Ruta Graveolens is the aggravation of the problem in the cold. The fingers may also be stiff and sore. Rhus tox is helpful in cases of trigger finger where there are noticeable rigidity and stiffness in the fingers during initial movement in the morning. Patients needing this homeopathic medicine get relief by moving their fingers and hands continuously. The problem may aggravate by resting the hand. Causticum is a valuable homeopathic medicine for trigger finger in cases where there are pain and stiffness in the fingers along with difficulty in straightening the fingers. Lycopodium is a suitable homeopathic medicine in cases of trigger finger where nodes on fingers develop. The other symptoms are stiffening of fingers along with a burning pain in the palms. Mercurius Sol is a beneficial homeopathic medicine for trigger finger where there is locking of fingers and stiffness in the hand while working. On moving the hands, there may also be a cracking sensation. Sulphur is useful in cases where the fingers lock when the person tries to grasp something. There may also be nodules on the fingers and cracking of finger joints in such cases.

Comments

1. Rebecca Lee says:

Hello Dr. Sharma,

I have trigger fingers in both hands as well as a cyst at the base of my ring finger on my left hand. I also have a ganglion cyst on my right wrist. The pain in stiffness in my hands is worse at night while sleeping and upon waking. The pain is also worse at night in my wrist where the cyst is located. I have tingling and numbness that radiates to my finger tips. I would like to try homeopathic medicine. Is this something you can help me with?

Rebecca

• Melville Foster says:

Good morning ,I have trigger finger in both of my index fingers.They are both locking and are very painful.

Please assist me in overcoming this condition.

2. I am taking Calc flour 6x for trigger finger. But it is almost one week no big relief. I am diabetic without insulin. In the morning it is severe.

3. krishnamoorthi rajan says:

I have a trigger finger on my right hand middle finger. Initially it started with stiffness on waking up and got released after some time. Now it us becoming a regular thing lasting all day ling and also becoming painful. Thanks if you could suggest me a remedy

4. Joanne Hollander says:

I am having a problem with my thumb and index finger locking, my index finger locks pointing downward, and now it is happening on both hands. I do landscaping and a lot of weeding which may be aggravating the tendons And causing inflammation? What homeopathic remedy would you recommend? Thank you so much for any help or advice you can give me. I would like to know Which of the homeopathic remedies above you think would be the best for my condition

5. Bharathan Illath says:

I have in right hand ring finger pain and some times the finger locks. Pain is below the finger. Pl.suggest medicine. I am taking med.for diabetic

6. Rupa Sarkar says:

Sufferring from trigger finger (RH Ring Finger) and Knee joint pain.
    Please help

7. SHAILESH DHOOT says:

I have an Trigger Finger proble in my right Hand.

I have problem in stratening my thumb and also in the morning it gets tightening and there is pain in the thumb also.

So request you to suggest the medicine which is helpful and resolve my trigger thumb issue.

Waiting for you Positive Response.

Shailesh Dhoot

• Hasina Begam says:

Hi good afternoon.ihave an Tigger fingers problem in my right hand.i l have problems index and ring’ finger both.it is too painful. Please help me with your valuable advice. Highly obliged to you

• Joanne Hollander says:

8. ATUL KUMAR says:

Hello I am suffering from trigger finger of little finger of left hànd ( I am lefty) and also patient of ankylosing spondylitis and gout. Kindly suggest medicine.

9. ANil Kumar says:

Dr.sahib I am 62 years old & suffering from trigger finger in right hand with stiffness during night for the last 2years. Pl. Suggest some light medicine for the problem .

10. Suffering from Trigger Thumb in my right hand with pain and cracking sound during bending. It has become very difficult to bend the thumb. The bending appears mechanical and NOT smooth.

11. I have trigger fingres problem for over 4-5 months with stiffness and mild pain
    Any effective homeo treatment fir this, Dr?

• TVS SUBRAHMANYAM says:

I am suffering from trigger finger in my left hand index finger and ring finger. I can move the fingers itself but it moves with a click and slight pain is there. In morning it is more stiff. But i don’t have to use my 2nd hand to move the fingers. Please suggest me homeopathy medicine with doses. I am 43 year of old male. I don’t have diabetes and no BP

• Sudeb Ghosh says:

I have trigger finger in my left hand index finger and little finger since 2 months
        I don’t have any dibetes or BP problems. My middle finger of left hand also shows similar symptoms in the morning but it goes away in the afternoon..
        Please advice me any homeopathic med with dose.

12. Fancy Alam says:

Suffering from trigger finger cannot bend fingers causing pain and stiffness also have some burning sensations. What homeopathy can help me please.All fingers have problem with bending

• Satish deo says:

Sir im 57 year old patient badly suffered by spondyleptosis caused due to AVM at D10″L1, L2 sunce 31 years completely bed ridden

13. I have been dignosed with triger thum both side what is recommend

14. Rajeev Pareek says:

I have trigger finger in my left hand palm. My Ring finger is suffering this ailment. At the base of ring finger some knot like is existing and there is swelling. I can’t bend my ring finger. If it happen it stuck and to straight it I have to use my right hand but it pains a lot while straightening.

I am having diabetes, which is well in control by medicine. I have been talking Glcyphage 500 for the same. And it is almost 8 year ago when I was diogonosed having diabetes.

15. AMITAVA MUKHERJEE says:

Suffering from trigger fingure at Right hand ring fingure. Tried first Lycopodium no result Doctor prescribed Custicom 1000 not much result then prescribed CAULOPHYLLUM 30 FOUR TIMES A DAY for 15 days.
    Can you suggest some alternative for complete relief.

16. Abnash Kaur says:

I have a trigger thumb on the left hand & trigger finger on the right hand. Right hand trigger thumb was operated in 2019.
    Thumb… hurts on moving, a little burning sensation & pain at the base. There is a painful node at the base too.
    Little Finger…. gets stuck often & is painful then. There is a painful node at the base.

17. PRAMOD KUMAR says:

I am facing trigger finger problem in my middle finger of right hand. When bending my middle finger gets locked and opens with a thud noise. There is slight pain when pressed. Plz advice. Tnx

18. Rajendra Press Panigrahi says:

Sir, Namaskar. I am 69 years old and suffering from this problem since 3 months. The middle finger of my right is stiff and I neither bend it up nor down.There is also swelling at the middle. I tried Arnica, Ruta G. ,. Rhus-tox, Lyco. , Helper Sulp , Lac. Conium, Hypercum , Kali . bich. , Causticum, Viola Odo. APIs. Mol. Cup. Met. It better now. But not cured fully. Now swelling is there (40%) , No stinging pains as before , but it pains at bending up or down. There was also a wound which got well. But there is sensitive pain on the dry wound position.
    Will you please suggest medicine to take at this position.

19. Dear Dr. Sharma:
    I have been suffering from Trigger Finger for around the last 3 months. First, it started on the ring finger of the right hand, now it developed on the thumb of the right hand.
    Symptoms:
    1. Ring finger gets locked if I keep my fist closed for more than 30 seconds, and I feel a little uneasy to make the finger straight, sometimes it pops up
    2. If I keep my fist raised (open) for a long time then, it is difficult for me to bend because of the stiffness of the finger. It happens especially in the morning, probably when I sleep I keep my fist open. After waking from sleep, it takes a while (maybe 10 minutes) to make my finder normal. If I keep washing my hands for several minutes, then my finger becomes normal quickly.
    3. I do not feel pain for my normal activities but if I work computer especially I keep holding the mouse for a couple of minutes, I feel pain
    4. Sometimes, I feel a burning sensation on my palm
    I feel mild pain(2 on a scale of 10) when I try to bend my thumb
    5. As I work with computers, it is very concerning for me.

I will really appreciate your advice

Best Regards,
    Kedar

• Balachandran says:

I am 62 years old with controlled diabetics. I was a cricket player for many years and involved in coaching youngsters.I have trigger finger in the middle and ring fingers of the left hand. There is swelling and pain in the base of the finger. The movement of finger is not smooth. Early morning, it is quite stiff and it is painful to bend finger during morning hours. When the affected hand is put in hot water and Thaila is applied the condition improves for a short while. I have come to know that Homeo medicine is effective for this condition.Please prescribe a suitable medicine and exercises. Thanking you Balachandran.

20. Carine Jeanrenaud says:

Dear Doctor Shama,
    I have what I believe is trigger thumb, caused by pulling out a lot of large deep roots. My thumb does not hurt, but feels like it is clicking out of joint particularly the middle joint. What remedy should I use?

Carine