Homeopathic Treatment for Trigger Finger

What is Trigger Finger?

Trigger finger, medically known as stenosing tenosynovitis, is a disease of the tendons of the hand. It is a painful condition in which the fingers or thumb get locked in bending position. There is difficulty in straightening the affected finger; and there is a clicking or popping sound on straightening the finger. Trigger finger can appear in one finger or may involve many fingers at one time. Though a common condition in the right hand, it can appear in both hands as well. Trigger finger makes a person anxious and frustrated since it interferes with daily life and work. It affects the efficiency of a person adversely, especially while performing tasks related to the hands. Homeopathic treatment for trigger finger is very effective. With the use of homeopathic medicines, the intensity of symptoms like pain, stiffness, and frequency of episodes gradually declines. A complete recovery in trigger finger follows.

Every case of trigger finger requires a detailed case taking that will help in finding the underlying cause and also the characteristic symptoms of the person. These symptoms are important for the selection of the most suitable medicine for the patient. Homeopathic medicines treat trigger finger by correcting the underlying cause. Homeopathic treatment for trigger finger is natural, safe, and has no side effects.

What are the Causes of Trigger Finger?

Trigger finger is caused by irritation, inflammation, and thickening of tendons of the fingers and thumb. Tendons are the strong tissue bands that link muscles to the bones. There is a covering on the tendon called the sheath. In normal conditions, there is the smooth movement of the tendon within the sheath while bending and straightening the thumb and fingers. In cases of trigger finger, the space between the tendons and its sheaths becomes narrow due to inflammation or thickening of tendons or sheath of the affected fingers or thumb. This narrowing leads to pain and restricts the movement of fingers.

What are the Risk Factors for Trigger Finger?

Overuse of hands with frequent and repetitive movements of hands and fingers put a person at risk of getting trigger finger. Individuals who carry out regular or continuous straining movements, like gripping or grasping of hands and fingers for a prolonged time, are prone to getting trigger finger. Persons in certain occupations or activities in which there is a constant straining of the fingers and hands tend to get trigger finger. Musicians, farmers, and laborers are at high risk of developing trigger finger. Apart from overuse, medical conditions like diabetes mellitus, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout also make a person prone to trigger finger. Trigger finger usually affects middle aged people. Females are more likely to suffer from trigger finger than males.

What are the Symptoms of Trigger Finger?

Initially, the patient complains of mild stiffness or tenderness at the base of the thumb or affected fingers. The stiffness is more in the morning or when the person initiates movement. In some cases, the patient may get relief by continuous movement of the fingers. As the disease progresses, affected fingers get locked on bending, and the person finds it difficult to straighten locked fingers. There may be a popping or clicking sound on straightening the affected finger. In advanced cases, the person may have to release the lock with the other hand. There may also be a formation of nodosities at the base of the affected fingers.

Homeopathic Treatment for Trigger Finger

There are many homeopathic medicines for trigger finger. Some of them are Arnica Montana, Ruta Graveolans, Rhus Tox, Causticum, Lycopodium, Mercurius Sol, and Sulphur. Arnica Montana is an excellent homeopathic medicine for trigger finger where the condition develops due to straining or overexertion of the hands. The patient may have soreness and pain in the fingers that get worse with a slight touch. Ruta Graveolans is a beneficial homeopathic medicine for trigger finger caused by straining or overuse of the tendons of the hands. A particular symptom for patients needing Ruta Graveolens is the aggravation of the problem in the cold. The fingers may also be stiff and sore. Rhus tox is helpful in cases of trigger finger where there are noticeable rigidity and stiffness in the fingers during initial movement in the morning. Patients needing this homeopathic medicine get relief by moving their fingers and hands continuously. The problem may aggravate by resting the hand. Causticum is a valuable homeopathic medicine for trigger finger in cases where there are pain and stiffness in the fingers along with difficulty in straightening the fingers. Lycopodium is a suitable homeopathic medicine in cases of trigger finger where nodes on fingers develop. The other symptoms are stiffening of fingers along with a burning pain in the palms. Mercurius Sol is a beneficial homeopathic medicine for trigger finger where there is locking of fingers and stiffness in the hand while working. On moving the hands, there may also be a cracking sensation. Sulphur is useful in cases where the fingers lock when the person tries to grasp something. There may also be nodules on the fingers and cracking of finger joints in such cases.

Comments

1. Ravi Daniel Thangaiah says:

I am 62 years old male have diabetes for 20 years. I have trigger finger at middle finger of left hand. Two years back I have same at my right hand ring, index fingers and underwent physiotherapy, ayurvedic and get a major relief. Now I want my left hand middle finger treatment. Kindly advice. Thanks.

2. Shoma Mukherjee says:

Hi!!
    This is Shoma Mukherjee.
    My problem is that I am suffering from trigger thumb on my right hand.

3. Safdar Ali Khan says:

Safdar Ali Khan 67/M, having pain & stiffness in the Ring & Middle fingers of my left hand for the last 6 months.
    According to symptoms Rhuxtox perhaps suits me.In.the morning & at night the pain & stiffness aggravate.Please advise medicine with potency & doses.

4. Sandip Ghosh says:

My right hand thumb has continuous severe pain in its base.There has been continuous straining of my hand for cooking habits for years for prolonged time.The finger cracks as I try to fold it. It has become very stiff and I cannnot move it and hold any object.
    This is for my wife aged 54 years. Please suggest/prescribe.

• Safdar Ali Khan says:

5. M.L.Bakshi says:

My wife is suffering from triggered finger in ring finger of right hand since November 2021.
    She feels pain on the base of the finger. There is small swelling on that area.
    This finger bends only 50%, and doesn’t touch the palm. She feels pain when trying to touch palm by using other hand.
    Trigger occurs whenever she does some domestic work .
    Please recommend a good homoeopathy medicine for quick recovery.

6. Charles says:

My left-hand ring finger locks. It is painful in the morning, with lots of swelling, the pain radiating into the center of my left palm. I had a cortisone shot for it two years ago, and now it’s back again. Is Arnica Montana the best remedy? Or should I use Mercurius Sol? Thank you.

7. My wife is suffering pain due to trigger thumb since last twenty days. The right thumb palm area has started a bit swelling too.
    Please advise and guide

8. पूनम तिवारी,पुलगांव जिल्हा-वर्धा(महाराष्ट्र) says:

दोनों हात के पंजे की रिंग फिंगर में अटक है,और दोनों गदेली में दर्द भी है,पहले कभी कभी होता था,अभी बार बार उंगली अटकती है,मुठ्टी बाधने के बाद रिंग फिंगर खुलती नही है,और खोलने पर बहुत दर्द होता है दबाने से गदेली में दर्द होता है,ठंडी में अटक और दर्द ज्यादा बढ़ता है,गर्म पानी मे पंजा रखो तो उतनी देर आराम मिलता है बाद में वैसा ही हो जाता हैं, मुझे शुगर भी है,दवाई चालू है

9. Hi my index finger was getting locked when I get up. There in problem in movement. Past few days I have started getting pain in my index finder during night. Please suggest

10. Tarun kumar says:

Hi Man, my left hand middle figure is locking working like Spring. Full finger is pain full. Facing stuffing at night. Pl. Help to suggest for suitable medicine.
    Rgds

11. Om Prakash verma says:

I have a trigger finger in left hand ring finger.In the morning to much stiffness and pain in hole day after some time stiffness and pain. When I Griff all finger the ring finger trigger.please suggest me what i have to do

12. Hi I have trigger fingers in both hands in middle and ring finger. In my right hand my middle finger is unable to straighten this has been happening since beginning of this year. They are painful when locked in and when I knock my hand. Also making a fist is painful.
    I’ve been checked for inflammation blood test showing nothing. I am a diabetic on insulin for 46 years always had good control. Now in menapause it’s up and down alot. My doctor feels it’s due to diabetes, I’ve only been seeing her for a year. My specialist retired last year. I’m also have underactive thyroid due to autoimmune disease.
    Can you suggest what would be good for me to take.
    Thankyou kindly Theresa